Wednesday 6 March 2013

Hummus Bi Tahini (Delia Smith)

One of my goals this year is learning to make healthier dishes for my family and cooking with a variety of bean dishes tops that list since beans are high in fiber and antioxidants. Canned baked beans aside, I knew nothing about what I can do with beans. Earlier this year, I saw my friend Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out blog about a Hummus recipe and it looked really easy.


I wasn't very keen on cooking chick peas for two hours and I was really pleased to find canned Garzabo Beans (Chick Peas) at the supermarket. At the same time, I ordered a jar of organic Tahini/Sesame Paste from the States and used it in this Delia Smith recipe (I also buy organic food like peanut butter and Nutella from overseas because its so much cheaper - but that is another story).  


Making Hummus is really easy as all the ingredients are blended together in the blender. I loved the creamy mixture and the lovely aftertaste of the Tahini and garlic made for a delicious filling for some Home Made Pita Bread

This is for Cook like a Star, Delia Smith blog hop event, hosted by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids, Baby Sumo from Eat your heart out and Mich from Piece of Cake. Grab the HTML Code for the event here.



Hummus Bi Tahini (Serves 4)
A Delia Smith Recipe

Ingredients
  • 4 oz (110 g) dried chickpeas (I used 2 cans or 910 g of canned chickpeas)
  • Juice of 2 lemons
  • 2 fat cloves garlic
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 5 fl oz (150 ml) Tahini paste
  • Cayenne pepper (I used black pepper)
  • 150 ml of cooking water from chick peas or water (I used about 170 ml)
  • Salt
To garnish:
  • Olive oil
  • Parsley
Method
  • To begin with put the chickpeas in a saucepan and cover them well with boiling water, then put on one side to soak for 2 hours. Next bring them to the boil, cover and simmer gently for about 1½-2 hours until the chickpeas are tender. Then drain them – reserve the cooking liquid. Alternatively, you can use canned chick peas, rinse them and drain them well. 
  • Remove the white covering from the chickpeas before you blend them. 
  • Put the chickpeas into a blender together with the lemon juice, garlic, olive oil and 5 fl oz (150 ml) of the cooking liquid or water.
  • Switch on and blend, adding the Tahini paste to the mixture as the blades revolve. (It will probably be necessary to stop the blender every now and then to push the mixture down into the goblet.) The consistency should be something like a mayonnaise and, if you think it's too thick, add a little more of the cooking liquid/water. Taste and season with cayenne pepper and salt.
  • Place in a serving bowl and garnish with a thin layer of olive oil, some chopped parsley and a pinch or two of cayenne pepper. Have plenty of fresh, hot, crusty bread as an accompaniment.



34 comments:

  1. Healty Hummus is great with bread and even on wafer crackers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous - I can't believe I have never made my own hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so delicious and your homemade pitta breads are perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so creamy and delicious. My family loves this as a snack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo i absolutely love hummus - used to eat these a lot during my days in Australia - when they are on specials it can go as cheap as AUD99cents a tub, heaven! I am so gonna try your pita bread and this hummus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so healty and delicious with your homemade pita! Perfect combination! I've got to give hummus a try one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mich, your hummus looks great - very smooth. My hubby loves this, he has it every morning with his toast. Oh its cheaper to buy organic overseas even with the delivery charges?

    ReplyDelete
  9. such a nice bread. looks great and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mich, I've always wanted to try hummus but somehow haven't gotten round to making it. I must make an effort!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This so inviting Mich! I have made hummus only once and it was not that great. I can see from your recipe that I might have missed a few ingredients. Thank you for sharing this. I will try this version.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mich, your hummus look very appetizing it definitely taste awesome with pita bread. YUMMY

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to make my own hummus too when I was in States. Indeed a very easy put together recipe and great to serve as starters in parties! Yours look very smooth & creamy, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM! This goes very well with your freshly baked pita bread! Very inviting indeed! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That appetizing hummus goes really well with your homemade pita bread :D Just delish !

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! ANd I love Delia Smith recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Who doesn't love hummus! This looks yummilicious!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mich,

    My son love eating hummus at childcare but not at home - must be peer pressure *sign* Totally agree with hummus is great. It is creamy in texture and never as fattening as other creamy dips.

    Fresh hummus with your homemade pita bread... Perfect!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good morning, Mich! Can I have some hummus please! We love to use them to spread on our bread! Yes, I also used the canned chick peas to make the hummus & it is great to eat with some sesame crackers or even making your own crisp bread by the use of tortilla or lebanese bread which also takes few minutes to do. You can sprinkle some dried herbs & sea salt on the crisp bread. Speaking of that, I'm already salivating!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi mich, I m from Singapore and have been looking for sites which offer affordable organic stuff. May I know which website do u go to?
    Thanks...jeannie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie, I order a lot of stuff from iherb.com. If you would like more info on what to buy, drop me an email...eat.a.pieceofcake@gmail.com

      Delete
  21. I have never eaten hummus before. But your recipe sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the flavor of tahini too! Perfectly made hummus!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mich! Nice hummus! Perfect as dips for bread before dinner starts!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never tried tahini before. Definitely must try it one day for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hummus and Tehini are both something that we eat here all the time :)
    I do urge you to cook the chickpeas yourself. Just soak them in water + 1 tsp of baking soda for few hours (over night) rinse thoroughly and then cook. Adding baking soda will shorten the cooking time. You can even cook large amount and the freeze.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I remember Baby Sumo's recipe. I also want to try making things from scratch and hummus is one of the things on the list too. I want to make your Pita bread at the same time... what a perfect snack!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This looks so awesome. Definately a me kind of dip. And you pita bread! You can do no wrong in my eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. This year i also like to cook more healthy foods for my family..but kids dont really appreciate beans related foods, but your pita bread that is something i can try out.

    ReplyDelete
  29. i nver chked the prices of organic food online but i'm a little surprised that the prices are lower than in singapore. Hummus and pita bread, i will love them..anytime :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love hummus, and yes, forget about cooking the beans on stove top for 2 hours when you can get the can ones, open and use in 2 seconds. hahaha...Your hummus sounds and look so delicious with the pita bread. Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Delicious Humus, I usually buy from store.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Why not make your own tahini? It's so simple. Just sesame seeds and olive oil. Then your hummus will really be home made!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Way too much liquid. Mine turned out like soup.

    ReplyDelete