Monday 25 February 2013

Purple Sweet Potato Bread

Have you ever cooked with Purple Sweet Potato before? This is the first time I am using this root vegetable in my kitchen and I really enamoured by its gorgeous deep purple hue.


I'm using the Purple Sweet Potato to make a Wholemeal Sweet Potato Loaf which I saw on j3ss kitch3n. I was so drawn to the pretty purple and its light and fluffy texture that I wasted no time in trying this bread out at home. 


The bread has a lovely golden crust and is soft, fluffy and springy. The taste and springy texture of this bread reminds me of the Chinese White Sugar Cake or Bai Tang Gao (白糖糕). My kids loved it and kept asking me to make purple bread!  



It was great with jam but mostly, I ate it on its own because the bread was so naturally sweet and did not need any kind of spread. 



Wholemeal Sweet Potato Loaf 全麦紫红薯土司
(adapted and modified from Carol 全麦南瓜蔓越梅土司)

Note: This recipe takes about 4 hours to complete. 

Starter Dough

Ingredients
  • 200g bread flour
  • 1/2 tsp instant yeast
  • 130g cooked purple sweet potato (mashed)
  • Water (About 130-140 ml)
Method
  • Combine bread flour, instant yeast and mashed sweet potato in a mixing bowl, add in sufficient water to form a soft pliable dough, cover with cling wrap or a wet cloth and prove for 1hr or until double in size.
Main Dough 

Ingredients
  • All of Starter Dough
  • 30g bread flour
  • 50g wholemeal flour
  • 65g cooked purple sweet potato (mashed)
  • 20g sugar
  • 40g olive oil
Method
  • Combine all of the Main Dough Ingredients in your bread maker machine or stand mixer and knead till the window pane stage, cover with cling wrap or wet cloth and prove for 1 hr or until double in size.
  • Punch out the air from the proofed dough and divide the dough into 2 equal parts, cover and rest the doughs for 15 mins.
  • Punch out the air from the rested doughs and shape into rounds, place into bread tin and prove for 1 hr.
  • Bake in preheated oven of 170 degree C for 38mins or till golden brown, remove bread from tin immediately once done and cool completely on a cooling rack before slicing.
This is for Bake Your Own Bread hosted by Roxana Green Girl. 

This is for Yeast Spotting at the Wild Yeast Blog.

This is for Made with Love Mondays by Javelin Warrior.


36 comments:

  1. How lovely your bread looks! Can i have one piece?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mich, your bread look so soft and fluffy. Nice color too. I love this purple sweet potatoes either boil or make sweet potato soup. For bread I usually used the orange sweet potato.

    Have a great day ahead,regards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mich, I simply adore purple sweet potato. But Ive yet to use it to bake bread. Got to bake it one day as your photo looks so perfectly baked.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I only used purple potatoes to make cupcakes. Must try to make your lovely recipe one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Mich, I bet that sweet potato made your bread so moist and love the color of your bread with the pink purple hue. Was your bread a little sweet too naturally from the sweet potato? Take care, BAM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely colour and it looks so fluffy. My kids love purple sweet potato too, great just eaten steamed too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely loaf of bread - I love the use of purple sweet potato here, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so funky! I love the look of this bread and the fact that its colour is completely natural is the most attractive bit. What a wonderful taste it must have! Well done Mich!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Your bread looks so deliciously soft and look at that color. Just so beautiful. Well done, Mich. I love purple sweet potato. I usually steam it and eat it with sambal belacan but I like this idea of using it in a bread. Simply yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a gorgeous loaf of bread! Looks so soft and spongy! I want this purple bread too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful color your bread... and it looks so soft!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Mich! That's a really nice colour! Makes the bread stand out from the norm.... looks very soft too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love PURPLE! The bread must be divine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My mouth is watering! I think I can smell the bread through the monitor. We're going to share your recipe with our friends.

    Gosh darn it now I want some for breakfast...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, just love the beautiful purple colour of the sweet potato. Your bread looks so soft there. 1st time of seeing some Chinese words on your recipe, haha. I was planning to make some pumpkin bread this morning and was going to look at Carol's recipe, bingo, now you have saved my time. Thanks.This is certainly something made with love!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such a great looking loaf!!
    I love colors in my food :)
    It's kind of hard to get here purple sweet potato, but I did make challahs and rolls with beet

    I wish I could eat a few slice of your loaf...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh - that's gorgeous! I love the color of your sweet purple potato bred, so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mich , one of your prettiest bread yet :D Love the soft and fluffy texture . It looks absolutely yummy !

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mich, your bread does look very soft and fluffy! The color is lovely too. Am bookmarking this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have never had these potatoes and I haven't seen them in Greece either but the bread looks absolutely appetizing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Mich, your bread looks so soft and I believe it is moist and chewy too. Really like the even crust of your bread.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a gorgeous bread, Mich! I've never used or seen purple sweet potatoes before. Are these related to yarrow? I had yarrow rolls (which were also purple) when I was in Hawaii... Anyway, love this bread and thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, very soft looking bread! Not to mention I love the colour too...pretty. :))

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have never seen these purple sweet potatoes before. I can believe that children would love anything made from them due to the lovely colour they give.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Mich,

    I think I might have purple sweet potato in our Asian grocery recently... The trend of eating this sweet potato might have arrived in Melbourne. This bread sounds very interesting to me... spongy like Bai Tang Gao! Nice!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the color of this bread! The texture looks perfect too. Sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. The purple sweet potatoes make the bread looks so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Could this look any more lovely? I've never used purple sweet potato in a bread recipe, but now I'm dying to try. Thank you for sharing...and inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Looks so soft and love the nice purple color too.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love potato bread but I've never seen purple sweet potaotes before, what an amazing colour the bread turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! This bread looks fantastic! Love the color & looks so soft & fluffy! Lovely bread indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Mich,
    I love purple sweet potatoes. I use to use them to make purple 'angkoo' and sandwich loaf.
    Yours look great. Taste like Bai Tang Gao!! wow! must be really good than.
    Bookmarked.

    mui

    ReplyDelete
  33. Adding sweet potato sure result very soft bread

    ReplyDelete
  34. I've seen purple sweet potato ice cream and cake, but never bread. This looks delicious and the color - gorgeous! Serving this at a dinner party would definitely be a conversation starter.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi! Just tried this recipe last night. The bread not as soft as yours. And the dough seemed v sticky despite kneading in the mixer abt 10min. Is it over kneaded?

    ReplyDelete