Tuesday 22 January 2013

Orange Walnut Loaf

I made this Orange Walnut Loaf by Martha Stewart for December's Cook Like A Star event but didn't manage to post it till now. I really like this loaf because its quick to make and perfect for days when I am rushed for time but need to make something for tomorrow’s breakfast. All I needed to do was to prepare the ingredients and stir them together, just like how muffins are made. These stir-and-bake recipes (no need for mixer) are great for busy mummies!


The first time I made this loaf, I forgot to add in the half cup of oil specified in the recipe. I did not even know till I looked at my newly opened bottle of olive oil sitting on the kitchen counter and it struck me that it had not gone down in volume! I was dreaming while baking :p It was a tad dry but was still very delicious because of the strong orange flavour and crunchy walnuts.


I made this loaf a couple more times after that because my hubby and kid love the orange-y walnut combination.  I substituted the olive oil with low fat yoghurt to reduce calories and because yoghurt would add moisture to the loaf in the same way as oil. 

Orange Walnut Loaf (Serves 6-8)
Recipe adapted from Martha Steward’s Whole Living

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for pan (I substituted with 1/4 cup low fat yoghurt, use up to 1/2 cup yoghurt if you prefer a denser loaf)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, (spooned and leveled), plus more for pan
  • 1 cup walnuts
  • 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest, plus more for garnish
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
Method
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Brush cake pan with oil, line bottom with parchment; oil and flour parchment and pan. Place walnuts in food processor and pulse until finely ground (be careful not to over process); set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, whisk together orange zest, flour, baking powder, salt, and ground walnuts. Make a well in the center of flour mixture and stir in eggs, brown sugar, orange juice, and oil until just moistened; do not overmix.
  3. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool in pan 10 minutes; transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
  4. Serve with sweet yogurt garnished with orange zest, if desired.
###
This is for Tea Time Treats hosted by Lavender and Lovage and What Kate Baked

This is for Javelin Warrior's Made with Love Mondays

35 comments:

  1. Yummy!!. I love orange and walnut, I bet they taste wonderful in this bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great mix of flavours. It reminds me of my Nans orange food processor cake. So moist perfect with a simple lemon icing. I love a new and easy cake. Thanks Mich!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Actually I wanted to make this too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a yummy-looking loaf , Mich ! The walnut and orange combination sounds really good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great looking loaf! And I love to use yoghurt in bakes! A slice or two would be lovely for tea-time snack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Orange and walnuts, a new combination for me and certainly looks very appealing!! Lovely loaf

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great cake... stir and bake ;P I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely and looking delicious this cake.... and this cake seems like a daily cake for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great flavour! Never think of walnut and orange combo. What a soft loaf!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yummy - I'd take a piece of this to have with my coffee right now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely & healthy loaf, Mich. Love it very much. Btw, you've won the NuNaturals giveaway hosted by me. Do drop by.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the combination of walnuts with orange and I'm sure using yogurt in place of the oil created a much moister cake. It turned out beautifully and I love how you chose to serve it... Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh this cake sounds so healthy! With the use of olive oil and both fruits...must be light and flavorful, yummy! It's ok if only half the oil went in...all the better, healthier ya?! Have a good day Mich!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love these easy and quick recipes. They make my life less complicated! The orange flavor in a cake is a wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mich, I suppose to try your cold oven baked lemon cake last weekend, then because I had too much of cakes since my birthday, so, have to postpone the plan again. I even bought a bag of lemon but now they are sitting in my fridge. I shall try walnut on Ethan soon otherwise he is going to miss out a lot of great bread here! I tested him the cashew this week and he is fine. So now at least I know he is ok with almond, pistachio and cashew. Walnut and hazelnut will be next to test.Peanut is a no no, so can't try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a lovely looking cake...the substitution of yogurt for oil is a great idea and I love the texture that the walnuts would give! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a beautiful Orange and Walnut Loaf. I know my family would love to have this for breakfast too. Quick and easy too, please count me in! :) I love that you substitute the oil with yogurt. Gotta give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Citrusy flavours always go well with bakes, and good idea to sub the oil with the yogurt. Another recipe bookmarked...mich, i have bookmarked alot ofyour recipes hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a healthy and delicious cake! I will have to omit the walnuts otherwise I will be eating it all alone That's because my girls would not eat any cakes with nuts or seeds in it....hmmm

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have been craving walnuts...especially in baked goods. This loaf looks like it would be perfect on a cold morning with a cup of tea. Thank you for sharing! I hope you are having a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. that's a gorgeous loaf, mich! i think i will like this flavour combination in your quick loaf too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Mich, your loaf look so mouthwatering. Very nice texture and great combination.

    Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm used to orange and almonds and I'm curious how it would with walnuts.
    The loaf looks amazing
    I'm definitely saving this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a fragrant loaf Mich. I used walnuts and orange before and it is a great combo. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Mich,

    Seems like we both are frozen in the December time zone... Still baking Martha Stewart's recipes even though 2012 is over - LOL! Let's hack about events and time schedules... as long as the recipe works well for us :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  26. Texture looks fine. This is the kind of cake I love to try.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hello Mich, I seen this deliciously moist on pin interest and just had to come and check it out. Looks even better with the full pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love the idea of using yoghurt as alternative to oil!! DELICIOUS, the oranges are in season now here in Europe and they are really sweet and juicy. This is the right time to give this loaf a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great combination and very sure this we will love this loaf of bread.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Mmmmm, the loaf looks really lovely and delicious! Thanks for the idea of substituting oil with yogurt, think I'll try it out in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  31. This sounds great and I love the use of the low fat yoghurt instead of oil!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love the flavour combo! The loaf looks really moist and perfectly dense.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Lovely loaf with awesome flavor of the season! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Mich,
    This is a lovely loaf .
    My hubby and kids will love this too:)
    Mee too have baked Martha Stewart's bakes but have not post up yet..LOL
    Will try this after CNY:p
    mui

    ReplyDelete