Friday 4 January 2013

Hakka Mee

I’ve always enjoyed my bowl of Hakka Mee. Though I don’t eat much pork on a daily basis, I’m quite happy to break that rule for this delicious minced pork noodles garnished with lots of spring onions. I can’t remember exactly when I started eating and loving this so much, but its probably from my childhood days of spending holidays in Malaysia with my cousins.


The mouth-watering pictures of Seremban Hakka Mee on my friend Baby Sumo’s blog brought back those cravings. Thanks to her easy recipe, I managed to whip up a bowl for the Malaysian Food Fest.


I am surprised that a simple topping of pork stir-fried and mushrooms with garlic and soya sauce can be so flavourful! The Seremban version uses hand-made noodles. To create the home-made version, I found a non-fried broad noodle (dried) from the supermarket’s noodle section which was surprisingly springy and smooth. As the noodles are not flavoured, the more topping you put on it, the more flavourful the dish will be. This is perfect for days when one is rushed for time and wants to prepare something simple.
Hakka mee (3 servings)
Recipe adapted from here
Ingredients
  • 220g non-fried broad noodles
  • 400g pork mince
  • 2 stalks spring onion, finely chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 2-3 tbsp soy sauce, to taste
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil
  • Shitake mushrooms, diced (optional)
Method
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Add the garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes until golden brown. Add the pork mince and mushrooms and allow to simmer for 5 minutes, or until thoroughly cooked. Season with soy sauce and remove from heat.
2. In a separate pot, bring water to boil. Add the noodles, and cook for 3-4 minutes, until noodles are firm to the bite. Drain well and divide the noodles between 3 bowls. If noodles stick together, rinse it under cold water.
3. Top the noodles with minced pork and drizzle with some of the oil which have been released during cooking. Garnish with some spring onions. Serve with pickled green chillies or jalapenos.
###
I am submitting this post to Malaysia Food Fest, Negeri Sembilan month, hosted by Hody Loh of Cook 4 you & me

2 comments:

  1. Oh yum! Looks delish! I love Hakka mee! I think I should make this too to support this month's MFF. ;))

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this simple dish...a few ingredients to create a quick good dinner...soon on my table Mich!!!

    ReplyDelete