Monday 14 January 2013

Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Have you ever baked a cake without pre-heating the oven? The first time I did that was with the World's Quickest Yeasted Cake - but that is a very different type of cake from this. The Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake calls for the cold oven method which will help the cake rise higher, making it less dense than typical pound cakes. This method also produces a cake with a crispier crust.


I was not disappointed by this recipe. The cake rose high in my loaf pan, had moist, tender crumbs and was light to the bite. The lemon and ginger zest added a tangy yet refreshing aftertaste. I also made a lemon glaze for the cake so that I can use up the juice from the lemon which I zested. I served mine with a dollop of yoghurt and blueberries. My kids enjoyed this cake very much and asked for it again.

One of the problems I've always faced with some types of butter cake is that there are some parts that is a little dense. A couple of methods which has helped me get rid of that problem is ensuring that the butter is really softened and at room temperature (I leave it outside for at least 2 hours) and that I cream the butter and sugar mixture sufficiently till it is pale (white) and creamy.  


During December, the folks at NuNaturals sent me a box of their products to try out in my kitchen. NuNaturals makes diabetic-safe, low glycemic and tooth-friendly sweeteners from Stevia, which is a South American herb that has been used as a natural sweetener for centuries. I reduced the amount of sugar in the recipe and used NuNatural's Liquid Vanilla and Lemon drops to sweeten and flavour the cake further. To make the glaze, I used NuNatural's Presweet Tagatose (which has a fine texture almost like icing sugar) mixed with lemon juice. The liquid sweeteners really enhanced the flavour of the cake the healthier way while the Tagatose made a wonderful glaze - no one could tell it wasn't made of icing sugar. NuNatural products can be purchased directly from their website and they ship worldwide. Use this discount code: BLG0613 (effective until June 30, 2013) for a 15 percent discount.  


Cold Oven Cream Cheese Pound Cake (Half recipe for 1 loaf pan 5 x 9 inch)
From Cake Keeper Cakes by Lauren Chattman

Ingredients
  • 115 g of cake flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 113 g softened unsalted butter
  • 113 g softened cream cheese
  • 1 1/4 cup sugar (reduced to 1 cup sugar)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 tbsp vanilla essence (replaced with 1/4 tbsp Liquid Vanilla Stevia and 1/4 tbsp Liquid Lemon NuStevia)
  • 3/4 tbsp freshly grated ginger 
  • 1/2 tbsp freshly grated lemon zest 
Method
  • Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position.  Butter and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.  
  • Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.  Beat butter, cream cheese, and sugar in a large bowl until fluffy, about 3 minutes.  Add eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.  Beat in vanilla, ginger, and lemon zest. 
  • With the mixer on low speed, gradually add the flour.  When all of the flour has been added, mix for 30 seconds on medium.  
  • Pour batter into prepared pan and place in cold oven.  Turn oven to 325 and bake until cake is golden, 65 to 80 minutes (I baked my loaf for about 60 mins). Check for doneness with long wooden skewer.  Cool cake in pan for 15 minutes, then invert onto a cooling rack and cool completely before slicing.

Lemon Glaze

Ingredients
Method
  • Mix the icing sugar and lemon juice together till you achieve desired consistency and drizzle over cake. Add more icing sugar if it isn't thick enough. 


###

I am submitting this to Bake-Along hosted by Joyce of Kitchen FlavoursLena of Her Frozen Wings and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids

This is for Javelin Warrior's Made with Love Mondays


32 comments:

  1. Hi, Mich, 1st of all, just want to point out that your "Low Fat Savoury Scones" can't be viewed in your blog though it shows up in our "Blog Reading List." Thumbs up for this cake. This will go to my cooking list & will try it when my oven is fixed. Can't resist lemon cake myself, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mich, I also wanna try out cold oven cake but have not got a chance, after seeing yours so tempting to try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is new to me, never heard of cold oven cake. Your cake looks very delicious and healthy using NuNaturals products. May I know what is the size of your pound cake?

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is very interesting dear Mich: I did not know that it was possible to bake a cold oven cake....a baking method to try out (your cake looks delicious!). I'm glad I found your new platform. I will add it to my yahoo reader.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mich, love the golden colour of your cake. I wonder if this cold oven method can be used for other cakes as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mich,
    Love your pretty looking golden brown loaf.
    I love love love your clicks especially on the slice of cake with dollop of yogurt and blueberries...so inviting!!
    Can i have a piece please :p
    I am another of your follower now:D

    mui

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely golden brown loaf. Love your presentation...very tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Mich,
    I've never heard of baking a cake in a cold oven either or even using cream cheese in a cake. It looks a bit like a Madeira Cake which I really enjoy eating. Like the addition of blueberries and yoghurt!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks moist and perfect with a cuppa. I find it interesting the addition of ginger.
    A lovely cake to start the week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mich , this is my 4th pound cake and I'm getting hungry ! lol Yours look as delicious as the rest :D Let me check my moldy cream cheese if it's enough to bake this yumminess ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich , here I am again ! lol Gonna steal your recipe , okay ?! Thanks in advance :D

      Delete
  11. this is beautiful! so golden! looks like quite a number of you are trying out the stevia products. Now that you desribed the Tagatose, i get a better picture of what is that. your cake must have tasted lemony too, great and thanks for baking again with us !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Goodness, this looks perfect. I will have to try this method as my pound cakes always seem to be a bit lacking. I can't wait! Thank you for sharing with me! I hope you have a good start to your week. Stay happy and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cake looks delicious and I can't wait to try the cold oven method.

    ReplyDelete
  14. HI Mich! I'm a novice when it comes to baking and Thanks for sharing a new baking method with me...

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi Mich, it's a very pretty cake that u baked
    lemon cream cheese cake, hmmmm you make me drooling at this hour :)
    going to bake this cake this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Mich,

    You are right our kids need extra fat for their little fatty arms. This cake is perfect for their fat maintenance... LOL!

    Guess what? I have a Stevia plant and it is really lightly sweet if you eat the flower or leaves! We call it our sugar plant. We like stevia products too and I drink a lot of cocoa with stevia during winter and I make strawberry milk shake with stevia for my son too during summer...
    Interesting that it comes in a form of vanilla and lemon extract too.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Mich,
    A great idea to add in the lemon zest! Must have an extra lemony gingery fragrance!
    I had a stevia plant once, steeped the leaves with my tea, I find that I need LOTS of leaves just for that light sugary taste!
    NU products seems interesting.
    Thank you for baking along with us!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mich
    I guess you are one of the great baker as what I can see your pound cake look so perfect and beautifully done! Bet it must be delicious and moist to the last bite!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mich, your pound cake looks beautiful and perfect! Beautiful photos of the cake, I feel like baking one again!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wonder if the cold oven technique allowed the cake to rise gently and create a better texture? Indeed an interesting method....wonder if it works for other bakes, hehehe. :p love that golden colour plus that Beauitful glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is by far the best cold oven pound cake I have seen, Mich. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never baked with a cold oven like this before - but I love the results! The pound cake turned out beautifully and the color is stunning. I love the lemon glaze over top as well - I would definitely have done the same thing :) Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Mich, your cake sure look superb and addictive. Very nice texture and color look beautiful.

    Have a great week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never tried cold-oven cake, and looking at yours I know I must try!!
    You definitely aroused my curiosity
    This cake looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an interesting recipe...I've never heard of a cold-oven cake but it looks like it works a treat! This looks particularly tasty with the blueberries and yogurt on top! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the colour of your cake. Looks very delicious. It's so freezing cold here I wish I can have a piece or 2 with a cup of hot tea. Dpn't mind to eat it even at 12 midnight :D

    ReplyDelete
  27. So glad I stopped by. I've never heard of this technique before but the science makes sense. The cake looks unbelievably light and luscious! And I can't wait to try the 'cold oven' method! : )

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah interesting to learn abt the "cold oven" method. Your cake really looks moist!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This cake looks really yummy. I have never tried to cold oven method before, sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  30. i like pound cake or butter cake, too long did not bake one..After CNY, sure bake one..Your turned out so good!

    ReplyDelete